We are in Valeggio sul Mincio in the year 1407 – when Borghetto became a fiefdom of the Knights Templar.
Borghetto was in a strategic position as it allowed pilgrims from the Po Valley to journey on to Rome, Santiago de Compostela and Jerusalem.
It was the Knights Templar who built a wooden bridge, water mills, a small river port, a fish market and a “Thaberna“, or inn, in which travellers, pilgrims or locals could take refreshments and spend their time.
The inn never stopped trading, adopting different names over the centuries: the original “Thaberna” later became “Hospitium” and “Osteria”. Today, the “Antica Locanda Mincio” stands on the remains of the oldest inn in Italy.